Friday 12 November 2010

*D* *M* Research into how to achieve a successful animatic

Hey again!

I have a lot of work to upload, but for now, I'll post up some inspirations I have when building a decent animatic. Since I may be doing a few this year, I feel it is necessary for me to write a bit about it. When I did my animatic for my pitch, I received a lot of positive feedback, and I think the way I did my animatic helped me a lot. I was inspired heavily by The Incredibles animatics by Pixar. Here's an example of on bit of Pixar animaticness. This is an alternative opening to the film they did.



I don't go into as much detail as the vid above, but I really like the way this flows. It gives a clear idea of what the story is going to be like. The shots are well established, and the lighting and poses are well thought through.

I have also been reading a lot of the graphic novel series called "The Walking Dead"


The books has currently been made into a drama series, and the first episode aired on Oct 31st. It has become a big hit, and I have taken a great interest in the zombie apocalypse story.

I love the way the story is told in the books. However I feel it is important to note that the people who produced the drama serieshave used these comics as a kinda ready made storyboard to follow. They stick closely to the way the books tell the story. Below is some behind the scene footage of the drama series production. They speak briefly about ways in which they remain loyal to the books.



Another example of a graphic novel I love that has been made into a film is the "Scott Pilgrim" series.


I love these books so much. Bryan Lee O'Malley is one of my idols now haha! I even had the pleasure to go to his book signing in London and congratulate him on his success!
 
But yeh anyway, these 6 books he made were turned into a film by Edgar Wright (Responsible for such films as Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead). It has won critical acclaim, and will be released on DVD very soon.

The reason why I write about this is because Edgar Wright looked closely at the books when making a cinematic version of the story. They were the basis for his storyboards. Many of the shots in the final film were taken directly from the books. He even went to the places that Bryan drew for inspiration to shoot some of the scenes! Here's a video exploring this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment